Monday, May 14, 2012

One year as Mrs Koo in the Making

It's going to my Goddess and the Horny Devil's first wedding anniversary soon!! How time flies! This also means that my Goddess has had short hair for a year - time for a change!

My Goddess can never stay in one hair style for long, she will either change her colour or the texture (straight or perm) or her hair length in one point of her life or another.

So to mark her one year as Mrs Koo, my Goddess has decided to change her look, first beginning with a different hair colour!


Instead of the usual havoc brown after so many years since uni, she went for the traditional black-brown, which is almost black if you see her indoors. 

Anyway, this was done at Exchange Hair Plus at Plaza Singapura. She bought the voucher from GroupOn since the location is near her office and it's cheap, $45 for colour + cut + blow. Luckily the hairstylist didn't take a close look at her voucher and swapped her cut for treatment. I'm sure the cut will turn out disastrous given the 'treatment' she was given.


First, upon reaching the place, she was asked to do a Lucky Dip. She picked up some $400 off hair treatment. 

Then she was asked to do a free scalp analysis. My Goddess was thinking why not, since it's free, and she can take a look if the latest shampoo(es) that she's using was better for her scalp. The lady claimed that she had her scalp too oily and wanted her to take up a scalp treatment package. Well, in the first place, I highly doubt if the analysis was accurate - this was taken in the evening, and my Goddess' last wash was the night before. Tell me whose scalp will still be squeaky clean and dry after a hot lunch in the sun earlier? If they really want to do an accurate test, they should do it after her hair is washed. And so my Goddess declined after she tried to push for it twice. And then the lady was a little unhappy that she stood my stand.

And so the lady ushered her to her seat, and made no mention of the lucky dip that she has won, and didn't even offer her magazines to read. My Goddess couldn't be bothered at all too. Just want to get her colour done and scram.

The stylist that my Goddess was assigned to asked her what colour she wants to do, and her reply - "dark brown so that my roots won't grow up obvious". And he kept suggesting bright copper browns for her! So in the end my Goddess gave up and chose her own colour. The colouring was also from some unknown brand (not the usual Loreal, Shiseido, or even Wella). My Goddess was so worried that it will sting her scalp or stink her nose. Luckily it didn't.

The hair wash at Exchange Hair Plus was not a pleasurable experience at all too! First the water was too warm for my Goddess, then the water splashed on her face a lot of times, my Goddess even wondered if she's doing her facial or hair colour. And the drying of her hair with a towel was the worst! Her hair was constantly pulled like she was engaged in a cat fight! 

And the place looked messy and dirty. They had cream coloured chairs which had some coloured stains on some place or another. There was dust above the pipes which was obvious when you are lying there to have your hair washed steamed and pulled and had nothing better to do. The phone signal sucks too, many a times you will get disconnected, so no FB at all during the whole time. This will be the last time my Goddess is stepping into the place even if there's an attractive GroupOn voucher from them!

So back to the hair colour. Initially my Goddess kind of regretted her choice of a super dark colour as it took a long while for me and her to get used to, especially since her hair was so bright and brown for so long. 

Slowly, she's getting used to it, and beginning to like it. But this is only part 1 of her makeover! She is going to let her coloured hair rest a week from the chemicals, and then go into part 2 next week, just before her wedding anniversary! I sure hope that the my Goddess and the Horny Devil like her the 2nd part of her makeover. Stay tune for that!

3 comments:

nur said...

I know this is a very dated comment, but I found your blog while looking for the Exchange Hair Plus salon review, and I just wanted to share my two cents opinion on the worst salon services I ever encounter!

I bought a coupon for $35 yesterday (23 July 2013) and booked an appointment at exchange hair plus to add highlights into my hair. The coupon also had water spa treatment along with it.
When I called Exchange to book an appointment, I encountered the worst ever front staff service. when I asked if i could come early ie, 1pm, i was told that I can't because they were fully book. The staff gave me a time (3pm) with a "take it or leave it" attitude. I told them that the earliest I could make it was 3.30pm, and he gave me a gruntle of displeasure and told me that its 3pm or nothing, rudely I might add.
Undeterred, as I needed a highlight job badly, I came in to the salon.

As I was seated, I told the staff that I wanted to have ash blonde highlights. He told me that it was not possible, due to my dark hair. He then wanted to sell me another brand of dye, a Japanese brand, for an extra $78.
This means that on top of the $35 I have already paid, I needed to top up $78 more to achieve the look I want, making it $113 in total. THAT IS NOT A DEAL.

the $35 package describes a "creative highlight". that means that I should get my desired highlights for the price I paid. I would readily top up 20-40 dollars more, but I would not top up $78 as that would mean my voucher will become completely OBSOLETE.

I hope that you post my review in your blog, so that others can be aware of what a HUGE scam Exchange Hair Plus is.

*woof* said...

Nur, I totally understand you feel! So I guess most of the time it's true - you pay what you get. Since then I've stopped purchasing such hair deals. There must be reasons why such salons need to do such groupon deals.

*woof* said...

Nur, I totally understand you feel! So I guess most of the time it's true - you pay what you get. Since then I've stopped purchasing such hair deals. There must be reasons why such salons need to do such groupon deals.